Insulation is beneficial in many ways. It helps stabilize temperatures and by that, making the living space more comfortable. Furthermore, if the space is properly insulated, it is bound to consume less energy and cut down the monthly utility bills. However, while we expect our home’s insulation to do the job, we often fail to get the desired results.The obvious reason has everything to do with the quality of the initial installation.
Here is a quick checklist to follow during the installation process
- Select the right insulation and the required volume: Insulation material will depend on the area and shape of your attic. While closed cell foam board and spray insulation work best for crawl spaces, batt and fibreglass insulation are apt for attic areas. Besides the type of insulation, the quantity of insulation to be used is also of paramount importance. Areas that are not thoroughly insulated fail to deliver the desired results.
- Do not remove old insulation: Unless of course your old insulation is inundated with mold and fungus, there is no reason to remove it and start from scratch. The best solution is to add layers of fresh insulation over the top of your old insulation. This will not only enhance the efficiency, but also help save money.
- Ensure no gaps: It is important that the insulation sticks to the walls as gaps between the wall sand the insulation makes it ineffective. Filling gaps that cannot be filled with Batt insulation,with foam or blowing in loose fill can prove helpful.
- Insulate attic doors and windows: Attic doors and windows are often left un-insulated. These outlets allow conditioned air to escape.Placing insulation against the attic door and windows and other outlets and adding weather strips around the edges can help control the escape.
- Beware of heat points: While it is important to insulate all gaps and holes, never place insulation near water heaters, oil burners and furnaces. Insulation materials are highly flammable and can be a major fire hazard.
Although insulation may appear to be a DIY task, seeking professional help is proven to be beneficial and efficient. At Quartz Solutions, we are experts in the field. Call us at 201-205-2042 973-536-1013 to find out more about our insulation services.