Make Your House More Energy Efficient with Crawl Space Insulation
Everyone knows that saving energy is a great idea for any home – it helps preserve the environment, keeps us healthier and more comfortable, and above all, saves money.
It’s fair to assume that most areas of your home currently have some form of insulation. But what about your crawl space? Many homes and buildings were constructed without crawl space insulation, especially before 1990. By properly sealing this hidden, often forgotten area of your home, you can help the environment, be more comfortable, and save hundreds of dollars on energy costs.
Crawl Space Insulation – It’s all in the Details
In moderate climates, residents are advised to insulate the ceiling of their crawl spaces, but otherwise keep the area ventilated to prevent moisture buildup. In cold climates like ours, however, it is best to seal off and insulate the entire crawl space, especially so that pipes and HVAC ducts are not exposed to cold temperatures in wintertime.
How to Seal off your Crawl Space?
There are a number of steps involved in properly sealing the area:
- Before doing any work, it’s a good time to inspect the wood structure for rot and make the necessary repairs, inspect for termites, and insulate pipes and vents when necessary.
- You may encounter damp or loose insulation material hanging from the ceiling. It is best to remove it altogether, as opposed to replacing it (remember, this is an unventilated installation!).
- Install rigid foam insulation board to the inside of foundation walls.
- Insulate the rim joists with spray foam.
- Seal off all vents that may have originally come with your home.
- Add a vapor barrier to the crawl space floor.
- Get rid of moisture with a dehumidifier or sump pump.
- Link the regular HVAC system to your crawl space via vents, to allow warm air circulation in winter. Close the vents when the air conditioner is running in the summer.
It’s Time to do Something!
Insulating your crawl space is a tricky, time-consuming process and it is advised to hire a professional to carry out the job.
Quartz Solutions has extensive experience in crawl space renovations, and is licensed and insured. At Quartz Solutions, we are passionate about improving your attic and crawl space, offering quick response times and the highest quality work. Contact our office at 201-205-2042, 973-536-1013 today to schedule your free inspection and estimate.
Quartz Solutions. Discover the difference we can make in the quality of your life!