Crawl Space Cleaning from Quartz Solutions
If you own a home with crawl space, it’s a good bet you haven’t given it much thought lately, if ever. What you may not know is that crawl spaces are a potential breeding grounds for multiple problems. The sooner someone goes down there to check on things, the better!
Just the Facts:
Here are some of the dangers of an unattended crawl space:
- According to a major study by the Mayo Clinic, nearly all chronic sinus infections are the result of mold inhalation. The conditions in most crawl spaces are ripe for mold formation, that could potentially travel anywhere in your home through the duct system.
- Dry rot and other fungi actually destroy more wood in homes across America than even house fires! Left unattended, this hazard can wreak havoc on your home’s infrastructure.
- Termite infestations often begin in the crawl space.
- Radioactive radon gas affects air quality inside one in fifteen homes in America. Radon is one of the most cited causes of lung cancer, second only to cigarettes.
- Animals often live and die in poorly protected crawl spaces, encouraging unhealthy microbes and foul smells.
What Needs to be Done:
Without question, moisture is the main cause of many crawl space issues – it’s the fuel for mold, rot, rodents and more! Here’s what you need to do:
- Vapor Barriers – Properly sealed crawl spaces help reduce humidity. Vapor barriers composed of thick sheets of plastic are secured to the floor, blocking water seepage – a very worthwhile investment.
- Ductwork Maintenance – Crawl spaces often accommodate ducts for heating and cooling. Leaky, poorly insulated ducts attract moisture and can provide transport for all the dust, spores and radon lurking down there. Energy costs can skyrocket when duct work is faulty. Sealing and insulating ducts in your crawl space can save hundreds of dollars, and may even improve your health!
- Plumbing Upkeep – Condensation on pipes is one of the main causes of excess moisture in your crawl space. Insulate plumbing to the latest specifications to avoid moisture buildup. Unattended pipes can leak without being noticed, and should be inspected regularly.
- Electrical Wiring – Rodents love to chew on plastic wiring! Make sure wires are properly secured to walls and that they are properly covered and out of reach of animals. Replace old wiring to prevent breakdowns and fires.
- Ventilation – One of the best ways to curb moisture and radon accumulation in your crawl space is to ensure proper ventilation. Install a circulation system that maximizes air flow and allows escape to the outside. No hair dryers, please!
- Insulation – Old ceiling insulation often loosens and hangs off the ceiling of your crawl space, negating its usefulness as a barrier. Ensure your crawl space is equipped with modern, well-maintained insulation.
It’s Time to do Something!
Inspecting and maintaining your crawl space is key to minimizing costs and ensuring health and safety. This is not usually something you can do by yourself. Finding the right people for the job can make all the difference.
Whether your crawl space requires regular inspection and maintenance, one-time repair, partial refurbishment or total renovation, Quartz Solutions is your one-stop shop. For friendly professional advice over the phone, call 201-205-2042, 973-536-1013 or request a complimentary inspection of your crawl space.
Quartz Solutions. Discover the difference we can make in the quality of your life!