Crawl spaces are the hidden zones of the property, located below the living space. They are uncomfortable to enter or move around in, and are rarely visited. But despite all that, they hold important value in maintaining the structure and overall strength of the property.In addition to being the entry point to the foundation area; the crawl space encompasses the plumbing, ducting and insulation framework of the property. The vapor barriers provide water proofing to the basement and upwards. Any infestation in the area translates into structural damage and potential health issues for the property and its dwellers.Thus, it is important to watch out for warning signs in the crawl space and take timely action to minimize damages and loss.
Signs to Look For
Damage due to water:
A worn out vapor barrier, plumbing leaks or cracked ducts, any damage in the crawl space will allow moisture and water to seep through, making it damp and moist. A humid crawl space provides ideal conditions for fungi, mold and mildew to breed.
- These infestations rot the wooden framework and make it soft and soggy.
- A rotten structure will appear discolored and faded in comparison to the structure that is intact and strong.
- An infested crawlspace is likely to emit musty odors.
- Iron and steel posts, frames, vents and other metallic equipment will develop a rusty layer or even signs of decay.
Damage due to rodents:
Cracks in the crawl space will allow rodents like squirrels and rats to set in. White ants and termites too are likely to follow. These infestations are equally responsible for structural destruction and can cause allergies.
- Listen in for squeaking sounds, which will indicate the presence of rodents.
- Look for droppings or a pungent smell of urine.
- Increased coughing and sneezing among the elders and infants or those allergic can also suggest the presence of pests.
- An infestation by white ants or termites will damage the wooden structure and create visible marks.
If you notice any of the signs mentioned above, seek professional help immediately. While it is important to control the damage, taking corrective steps to eliminate the source of infestation is of paramount importance. Get in touch with Quartz Solutions at 201-205-2042, 973-536-1013 for superior crawl space related solutions.